Thursday, August 29, 2013

30 year old The MacPhail’s Collection from Tamdhu Distillery

What’s sweeter than the Thursday before a long weekend (knowing that I will be working from home tomorrow) and bolder than the red denim jeans I am wearing right now, well talking about a 30 year old whisky is. There is no better way to kick off this holiday weekend than by talking about The MacPhail’s Collection from Tamdhu Distillery 30 year old.

I’ve been lucky enough to be surrounded by people who enjoy whisky as much as I do. It has given me the opportunity to taste whiskies I would normally not have a chance to. In this instance I got a chance to taste this whisky after raiding my boyfriend’s family whisky collection cabinet.

If you are a whisky drinker, you as well I can appreciate the amount of history these whiskies and distilleries have. It makes tasting their products more enjoyable. What’s great to know about Gordon & MacPhail is that their MacPhail’s collection has a wide range of whiskies that are distilled in different top notch whisky distilleries around Scotland. This collection pairing with Tamdhu is a great match and that shows in the end result of this whisky. After years of distilling with other distillers Gordon & MacPhail finally acquired a distillery of their own and now produce Benromach whisky.

Now this particular 30 year old Speyside whisky distilled at the Tamdhu distillery has an ABV of 43%. It also has a wider price range than any of the other whiskies I’ve written about. Depending on where you purchase this can cost $145-$190. It could also go upwards of $200 in other places I checked. 

My Neat Experience

Color: Golden Brown (Amberish)

Smell: Sweet and woodsy (To get a better smell of the whisky, I poured a few drops on the base of my palms and I rubbed them together. It was the sweet smell that was left lingering after this process)

Taste: This whisky had a very sweet start to it. It had a very well balanced taste. After the sweet I was hit with a bit of spice. This full bodied whisky has a slight burn at the end but the finish is smooth and lovely.

Although pricey due to it years of maturation this is a very good whisky. You can taste the years of  great craftsmanship. I would have no money if I ever bought every single bottle of whisky or whiskey I tasted, but it was certainly a treat for me to try it this one and I would recommend if you ever get the chance to as well. If you have tried it or do try it let me know your thoughts.

If you are headed out this weekend on a long weekend adventure, safe travels and may you have a dram or two. Look out for my Bully Boy Distillers write up on Monday as I take a tour of their facilities this Saturday right here in Boston.

Cheers!


5 comments:

  1. This whisky reminds me of the holidays, family and relaxing by the fire on a snowy night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 42 Tamdhu from Hart Brothers, and it is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisy, Love your blog, I now have a whole list of whisky's I want to try. I look forward to "sampling" more at the house with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honored you shared a dram with us .
    Our ancestors were the original whisky tasters -although a bit extreme.
    They would pull the cork, sigh and say "we won't be needing that anymore" and toss it away.

    Is the Ardberg still your favorite?

    What tops your " must try" list

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ardbeg is still one of my favorites, however I've got to say that I've got a few others topping my list which include the Glenfiddich 21, Redbreast, Green Spot and there might be more as I continue to try.

    At the moment I would like to dip more into the Irish whiskies so those currently top my list.

    ReplyDelete