Monday, September 2, 2013

Bully Boy Distillers and their American Straight Whiskey

If you've never heard of Bully Boy, no worries, I just learned about them very recently. I believe I was more excited of the fact that they were right here in Boston. Being that they are a local distiller I wanted to learn more about them and their whiskey. I made that happened this weekend by taking a tour of their distillers and tasting the products to include their very own American Straight Whiskey.

Their distillery is located in a small warehouse in Roxbury, MA. Saturday’s appear to be their busiest tour days and we were lucky to snag a slot on their last tour of that day.  The distillery although rather small had character. One thing to note about Bully Boy is that although I am writing about their whiskey they also produce other spirits to include, Vodka (their best seller), Rum and White Whiskey (which is not aged).

Taking their tour was one of my highlights this past weekend. It was fun! Their tour guide was funny, informational and was very personable. In the tour we got a chance to see where they matured and distilled their spirits as well as we got a chance to sample a bit of their products. If you happen to live in the area or in the state, it is something I’d recommend for anyone to do.

Now onto their American Straight Whiskey, their whiskey is aged 3 years in new American oak barrels. Their mash consists of corn, rye and malted barley. It has an ABV of 42% and a bottle purchased at the distillery was priced at $38.

My Experience

Color: Golden brown
Smell: Sweet and woodsy
Taste: Slightly sweet with a mild burn.

I really wanted to love this whiskey and although it has potential, I still think there is room for improvement. It is a very simple whiskey that is not bad by any means, but lacks a bit of bite. It has a slight burn that is nice but leaves you wanting more at the end. To me it tasted more like bourbon than an actual whiskey, so if you are a bourbon drinker then you will really enjoy this product.

Another way you'll really enjoy this whiskey is by mixing it up with something else. On a lazy Sunday we mixed it up with Gosling's Ginger Beer and it was a great cocktail. The whiskey taste was present and not too over powering. It was a refreshing cocktail I'd recommend with their American Straight whiskey..

Overall I would not say that you should not purchase this product. It is nice to have a local product in your shelves. The whole overall experience from visiting the distillery to tasting their products was great. They are a very new distillery with lots of potential and I know that they will continue to expand and improve their products.

If you are looking for something fun to do on a weekend look them up and visit them, you won’t regret that tour.

Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment