Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Auchentoshan



One of the things I learned while traveling through Scotland is that some whisky distilleries purchase American bourbon casks, rum casks and even wine casks to distill their whisky in. If you really think about that, it’s a win win for both sides.

How so? Well, one side makes money by selling their used up casks, which would otherwise be tossed, and the other reaps the benefit of giving their whisky a flavor that could only be achieved through this process alone. The longer these whiskies mature in these types of casks the more of that flavor is left behind on the whisky giving it that unique flavor. Auchentoshan (try saying that 10 times fast) is one of those whiskies.

Let me be honest, I love whisky, but one of the things that drew me to try Auchentoshan wasn’t just its unique name or the fact that it was a whisky but the fact that this brand is one of the few single malts that is tripled distilled. This means that the whisky is distilled three times. Each distillation helps to purify the whisky even further.

Auchentoshan is from the Lowland whisky region of Scotland. If you look at the box it tells you that it is pronounced ‘ock-un-tosh-un’. From their range today I am trying their Classic which is matured in American bourbon casks and is 40% alcohol proof. This bottle would cost you roughly about $30-$40. Out of their range line, the classic doesn’t have year so it’s pretty safe to assume that it is their youngest brand.

When I opened the bottle and smelled it, I get sweetness, fruits and citrus. It’s a pale golden color and unlike Lagavulin this is actually a very smooth, light whisky that I would recommend to any new whisky drinker.

When tasting, I first get sweet vanilla and then I get hit with a smooth zestiness. This is one whisky that new whisky drinkers will not cringe at. It is that smooth, light and fresh. My recommendation, if you are looking to start whisky drinking this is the product to do it with and it is a good way to help kick start your summer.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment