Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bruichladdich 19 year-old Cask Strength

Note: I am slowly transitioning to WordPress so please also note my new address: http://whiskeywench.wordpress.com/

It was not too long ago that I wrote about Bruichladdich Rocks; actually it was this very month on Nov-04. I wouldn’t have written so quickly about it again, however I feel it’s a must. Now that the pumpkin, sweet potato, and apple pies are done I can concentrate on this weeks post, Bruichladdich 19, right before Thanksgiving.

Last weekend my boyfriend and I spent an evening at The Last Hurrah in Boston, our whisky go to bar. Our main reason for going there isn’t only the whisky but also Frank their bar manager. Frank is amazing and extremely whisky knowledgeable. He is pictured below with me. Bruichladdich 19 is one of their newest additions to their menu. Now if you want to try this one you better hurry. There were only 296 bottles distilled bottles of this 19 year-old and Frank was good enough to acquire one of them. So if you are so inclined to try this one, hurry to The Last Hurrah before it is all gone.




Although they bare the same name Bruichladdich 19 is not like the Bruichladdich Rocks. Bruichladdich Rocks is a product of what the Bruichladdich distillery is now. The Bruichladdich distillery was first built in 1881. Since then it has come to close to closing down, in 1907 and again in 1993. It was due to that last close call that Ducan Taylor acquired a surplus of this whisky from Bruichladdich, which was first distilled in 1992. They acquired it before maturing in casks and then bottled it in 2012.

Knowing that there isn’t that many bottles of these out there made tasting this single malt a lot better.

My Experience:
Smell: Sweet and fruity

Taste: It is extremely creamy and light. I get hints of salt and pepper.

Finish: Although cask strength, the finish is very smooth, however one of these made me extremely happy and I was certainly done drinking afterwards.

In most places I looked, this bottle was sold out. The price in those places was $200+. You will not find this whisky in your local liquor store or whisky vendor. If you are in the Boston area definitely visit The Last Hurrah to try. I highly recommend it if you come upon.

For all my non-whisky drinkers, you may not feel it at first because of the smoothness but this whisky is strong. If you are trying this for the first time, take it easy, drink slowly and enjoy. It is a single malt that can help all that turkey dinner go down. If you’ve tried it before drop me a note in the comments section and let me know your thoughts.

Finally, if you are in the US, may you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Safe travels and cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment