Thursday, July 18, 2013

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

If you have never heard of a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale it’s time to change that because this ale is the perfect alternative to straight up bourbon or whisky during this heat. To me combining beer and bourbon is genius. I am sure there might be other brands out there like it, but this is the only one I’ve tried so far and it is completely different to any ale out there.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is a beer that has been aged in bourbon barrels and in the case of this ale, Kentucky bourbon barrels. For a beer, the alcohol content is higher than most roughly around 8%. Depending on where you live, a 4 pack can cost around $12 or so. In their range they also have a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout for those stout lovers. I have not tried this one yet, but it is on my list to try.

Although I’ve enjoyed the ale before, I recently had it after dinner a few nights ago while out with some friends. It was a perfect end to a meal. To me it is a beer to sip and enjoy slowly. You can and you will definitely taste the bourbon in this beer which to me it is why it ends up being stronger than your regular beer.

I will be honest; I can only have one of these, two at the most before I need to stop. It is however, refreshing and a beer like no other. I think everyone should at least try it once, if not for the taste out of sheer curiosity. You can’t go wrong with something like this on a very hot day like today.

The color is a nice deep amber color and the taste is smooth with a bourbon kick. At first it is sweet with a hint of vanilla and then I get hit with a woodsy taste. The ale finishes off with that nice bourbon kick. I’ve always believe that a good drink has a great start but an even better finish. The bourbon finish is a great end to this ale. If you are not a fan of strong ale’s then this is not the ale for you, however as a whisky and bourbon lover I really enjoyed it and will most certainly have again.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment